Are you a business owner in Dadaab? Have an idea that you would like to turn into a business?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), Garissa County Government, the Department of Refugee Services (DRS), and other service providers in the camp are collaborating to bring business support services in Dadaab through a one-stop-shop.
What is a one-stop shop?
As the name suggests, you will simply go to one place, at once and have your needs met. The one-stop shop offers multiple services or products to clients in one place rather than in different places.
The services offered at the Dadaab ones-stop-shop are accessible to refugees, asylum seekers and members of the host community. Beneficiaries can include:
- Business owners in Dadaab
- Sef-help groups
- Community-based organizations (CBO)
- Refugee Led Organizations (RLO)
- Individuals seeking to start a business
Services at the Dadaab one-stop shop
Garissa County, DRS and DRC are providing multiple business support services and assistance at one-stop-shops at DRS offices in Dagahaley, Hagadera, and Ifo. You can get the following services on:
- Business registration
- Business permits and licenses
- Hygiene inspection and certification
- Financial services such as loans and information
Image1: Poster of business services available at the Dadaab one-stop shop (Source: Julisha.Info)
The Dadaab one-stop shop for entrepreneurs is mobile. The desks are set up at the Department for Refugee Services (DRS) offices in Info, Dagahaley and Hagadera.
Each of the three camps has been assigned one day every month. Below is July to December 2022 schedule for when the services will be available at the DRS office closest to you.
Image 2: Poster for the Dadaab mobile one-stop-shop calendar for July through to December 2022. (Source: Julisha.Info)
What documents should I bring to the one-stop shop?
The documentation will depend on the type of service you will be seeking. Carry at least your:
- Refugee ID/Manifest (proof of registration – for refugees)
- National ID – for Kenyans
Which organizations provide services at the one-stop shop?
You will find desks for various service providers. These are the service providers having operational desks as of July 2022:
- Department for Refugee Services (DRS)
- Information on refugees and other government regulations on business
- Movement pass applications for business
- Garissa County Government
- The social services desk provides registration and certification for self-help groups and community-based organizations (CBO)
- The public health desk provides support for businesses that require a public health inspection
- Trade desk for issuance of business permits and licenses to traders
- African Entrepreneur Collective (AEC Kenya)
- AEC-Kenya offers training and financial support and training on bookkeeping, grants, and loans for businesses established in Dadaab.
- Kenya Chamber of Commerce, Garissa chapter
- Business training and payable grants are provided to eligible businesses.
- Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Support on obtaining, replacing lost or damaged documents,
- Help with corrections on civil and identity documents such as birth and death certificates.
If you have any questions, please write to us via the Julisha.Info Facebook page, or chat with us on WhatsApp (+254110601820) Monday through Friday from 08:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.