How to replace lost or damaged Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) academic certificates 

Education certificates serve as proof that you completed a course of study and allow you to pursue further studies and employment. Loosing or damaging these certificates can cause you to miss a job or an opportunity to further your education.. The Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) certificate, for example, is required for enrollment in tertiary education such as university or college. Moreover, some employers require to submit academic certifications as proof of qualification.  

In this article, we will outline the steps that need to be taken to replace a lost or damaged KNEC academic certificate and provide you with the information you need to ensure a smooth and efficient process.

Types of certificates The Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) issues 

KNEC issues the following academic certificates. 

1. Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) 

This is a certificate that is issued to students who have completed their secondary education (Form 1- Form 4) in Kenya. This certificate is awarded to students after they sit for the nationwide KCSE exams. 

2. Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE)

This is a certificate that is awarded to students who have completed their primary education (Standard 1 – Standard 8) and have sat for their KCPE exams. These exams are an entrance requirement for secondary education. 

3. Certificates of post-secondary education such as Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET), business and Teachers Training Certificates (TTC).

Filing an application for academic/KNEC certificate replacement 

KNEC has made replacing lost or damaged certificates a simple process.  

Applications for academic certificates replacement are done through KNEC’s online portal, the Query Management Information System (QMIS).

KNEC will issue you with a Certification of Examination Results letter that acts as a duplicate certificate once your application has been processed and all required documents are verified.

Required documents to submit with your application to replace lost/damaged   KNEC certificates.

1. A copy of the lost certificate or result slips: Result slips are required for all examinations except the KCPE exams from year 1926 to 2012. (KCPE exams result slips from year 2013 obtained from the KNEC website/system are acceptable).

You can obtain a copy of your KNEC result slip from the school where you took your examinations.

2. Legal Affidavit: An affidavit obtained from an advocate of the High Court of Kenya.

3. Registrar of persons confirmation: Confirmation of the applicant’s identification from the registrar of persons. 

To obtain letter of confirmation of identity, go to the office of your County’s Civil Registrar. 

4. Police Abstract: An original police abstract/document indicating that you lost your certificate. 

A police abstract is available at any police station in your area. When you lose or damage your certificate, you should report it to the police.

5. Photocopies of your identity document(s): 

Applicants under the age of 18 will need to have copies of their birth certificates, which should be submitted with a copy of the parent/guardian’s Identification Card (ID) or passport. 

Adults (above the age of 18) will need to have copies of their national or alien Identification Cards (IDs) or Passports  

The name on the identity document must be the same as the name used in the examinations for which the lost certificate was issued.

6. Passport photo in colour.

Note: Those who have legally changed their names must include the legal documents they used to change their name such as a marriage certificate for women or a copy of Gazette notice where the changed name appears.

Steps for applying for a KNEC certificate replacement: 

Step 1: Applications for academic certificates replacement are done through KNEC’s online portal, the Query Management Information System (QMIS). You will be required to log in by entering your username and password if you already have an account. If you don’t have an account, you will be required to create an account to access the portal. Follow the below process to create an account.


A screenshot of the QMIS portal homepage.

Step 2: Create your QMIS user account.

Click on the “Register” button to create a new account. You are required to provide the following information when creating your account:

  1. Full name
  2. Mobile number
  3. Postal address
  4. Title/designation such as Mr. Mrs. etc.
  5. Email address.

Once you have entered all the above information and confirmed your email address, click on the “Register” button. The QMIS system will then automatically create your account and send your username and password to your email address. 

You can then use your email to get your username and password and login to the QMIS portal.


A screenshot of the information you are required to fill in when registering/creating your account on the QMIS portal. 


Step 3: Fill out the online application form and attach the required documents. 

Once logged in to the QMS system, click on the “Lost Certificate” section to open the application form.  Enter your Index number – a unique identifier given to candidates who are registered to sit for a KNEC examination -, Exam, Year and Series (the month when you sat for the examination)  and then click on the “Find” button after which the system will verify your details and provide your full name in the “Name” box.

Attach all the required documents in the attachments section and click on the “Submit” button to send your application.


A screenshot of the online application form.

Once you submit your application, KNEC will verify your documents and then generate and send you a unique Pay-bill and Account number as an SMS on the mobile phone number you used during registration indicating the total amount to be paid which is Ksh5,220 (inclusive of VAT). 

Proceed to pay via mobile phone-based money transfer service, MPESA and KNEC will start processing your application. The duplicate certificate is processed in fifteen (15) working days.

What happens if application is rejected?

Your application could be unsuccessful if:

  1. Details such as your name, name of the school or examination center, the index number in the application are different from those used in the examination.
  2. The application has not met all the requirements.

If your application fails to go through, you can reapply by removing the old application and all the attached documents from the portal and then uploading the correct information and missing documents.

Where will you get your certificate?

KNEC will inform you through the contact details you used to register your account once your application has been processed and a duplicate certificate is ready for collection at their offices.

Go to the KNEC office in person with your valid ID or passport to pick up your duplicate certificate. 

Applicants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or an official guardian. The parent or guardian must show their original ID card and the minor’s original birth certificate. You can learn more about how to get a birth certificate in this article

You can also check the status of your application by login into the KNEC Query Management Information System (QMIS).

Note: If a certificate is not collected after TWO (2) years from the date of application, KNEC will dispose of it without contacting the applicant and will not refund the amount paid.

Key contacts and addresses for assistance. 

  1. KNEC Chief Executive Officer through email address or
  2. Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) Head Office located at the New Mitihani House (NMH) along Popo Road in Nairobi’s South C area. 
  3. Telephone: +254 020 3317412 / 3317413 / 3317419 / 3317427 / 3341027 3341050 / 3341071 / 3341098 / 3341113 / 2213381
  4. Mobile Number: 0720741001/0732333860
  5. Fax Number: +254-020- 2226032
  6. Email Address:
  7. Website:

If you have any questions, please write to us via the  Julisha.Info Facebook page or send us a message on  WhatsApp or SMS to +254110601820 Monday through Friday from 08:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.