COVID-19 is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which spreads between people, mainly when an infected person is in close contact with another person.
The virus can spread from an infected person’s mouth or nose in small liquid particles when they cough, sneeze, speak, sing, or breathe heavily. These liquid particles are different sizes, ranging from larger ‘respiratory droplets’ to smaller ‘aerosols.
Watch this video by the Ministry of Health to get informed about COVID-19 in Kenya
To protect ourselves and our families from COVID-19, the Ministry of Health in Kenya, and the World Health Organization (WHO), suggest we:
- Stay at least one metre away from others, even if they do not appear to be sick.
- Wear a mask, especially when you cannot physically distance.
- Avoid crowded places and events, poorly ventilated indoor locations, and prolonged contact with others.
- Open windows when indoors to increase the amount of outdoor air.
- Avoid touching surfaces, especially in public settings, because someone with COVID-19 could have touched them before. Clean surfaces regularly with standard disinfectants.
- Frequently clean your hands with soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand rub. If you can, carry alcohol-based rub (sanitizer) with you and use it often.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a bent elbow or tissue, throwing used tissues into a closed bin right away. Then wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Stay at home if you have symptoms like cough, sneezing and fever.
Watch this short video to learn how to recognize the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and what to do to protect ourselves.
When out and about during the COVID-19 pandemic make the hand sanitizer as recommended by WHO
For more information or if you or someone you know feel unwell, have a cold or a cough or fever, please call 719 or text *719# toll-free number provided by the Government of Kenya.
Protect yourself, your family, and the community.
If you have any questions, please write to us via the Julisha.Info Facebook page, Monday through Saturday from 08:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.